Friday, May 5, 2006

Swimming with Sharks

After the film, we went to a pub not far away. We started to have our doubts about the place as soon as we realised it was full to the brim at 5pm. But what was especially strange was that all of these people were only men (who all turned around as soon as they saw a woman walking in, of course). We started asking people what the ? was going on, and it came to light that we were smack in the middle of an online gaming community get-together (imagine how happy Krusty was) who had come from all over England to chat about the game they all had in common.
I was so surprised that these things just happen, under everyone’s nose, without any notice. But I was especially taken aback to see how…normal these people were ! I would never had guessed that most of these people were behind their computer screens every night. I also thought a fight was bound to happen, out of revenge for a destroyed ship or something, but no, only friendly smiles were exchanged between players and a camaraderie that is rare among strangers (I know they were not strictly strangers but after all it was the first time they were meeting in the flesh, and online spaceship battles can hardly be qualified as normal relationships…). Anyway, bravo to the computer geeks, they have used the internet to create opportunities to mix and get on without actually meeting, and not only escape into cyber-reality as I also thought they were.
One of those who I asked one of my thinly disguised sociological questions to even admitted having met better friends online than in the real world. Hmm…or has he simply never met anyone in the real world ? I am still firmly opposed to my own Klown playing the game, but I am not against shy people meeting friends online…Help, has this blog made me a computer geek sympathiser ?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home