Wednesday, May 3, 2006

April Fools

Someone must be listening to my prayers/ramblings up there, because in the space of only a week, I got a raise, S asked me to move in with him, Paul the bread man invented whole meal bread with chocolate chips and – the best thing of all in my opinion – I can now get Diet Coke with Cherry! I know, it’s chemically embarrassing and a real shame to admit it, but I love it so much!
For those who didn’t know, I have been working for 8 months now for Lexus Magazine, a quarterly distributed to drivers of Lexus cars, translated into seven languages and read in 34 countries. I know, I know: what? La gitane is writing for a car magazine? What ?! But actually, only six pages out of 52 concern the cars, and the other articles go from salt to ethical fashion. Despite the variety of topics, I have quickly become ‘queen Lexus’ to my colleagues, who all gather round to read the info on my desk about automatic transmission or the number of seconds it takes the roof of the SC 430 to fold into the boot… No, I am NOT proud to know about all of this. It is actually quite depressing to know that I can now hold quite a serious conversation about how a car works. I really wasn’t looking for this kind of thing when I decided to get into publishing, but while I wait for something better, I am learning a lot, I suppose.
My recent pay raise left me quite unsatisfied, surprisingly. Not only does my title remain the same, but it gives the job another tick in the positive box, and makes it even more difficult to leave. The team is great, the magazine is beautiful, the benefits are amazing, and not only was I paid more than average for the industry (don’t worry, even above average, it is still tiny) but now I am getting paid even more…how will I escape after that?!
Enough about work, anyway. You probably want to know more about my second piece of news: I am moving in with S, better known to some as ‘the neighbour’, or even Krusty. After a sad and touching end with M, I started to see a certain young man that I like to name Krusty after the famous clown, because of his receding hairline. Should he have green hair, he would certainly be similar…well, actually he is neither fat nor corrupt, and he has neither his own monkey nor his own TV show for kids, but he makes me laugh, a lot, and that’s resemblance enough in my mind. So, I am moving in with a very funny shrimp-man with a receding hairline in Tower Bridge, just over the road from the flat that I first moved in to with Stan and Daisy, who still live there. Krusty and I have been brushing our teeth together religiously for the last year or so (sometimes over the phone when we are not in the same place). Sometimes we wake up together in the middle of the night and have a chat as if we had never gone to sleep. We run together on the weekends, and sometimes he slows down and I realize that I am running as fast as he is walking. Welike to do DIY in our pyjamas the best…
Before moving in with him, on April Fool’s day (how appropriate), I have lived with my parents, in Bond Street, in an art gallery with Trauma Tara, as I liked to call the landlady (who reclaimed her tv while I was watching a film one day, out of the blue) and with a fashion designer who brought a different model home every night, sometimes leaving them alone in the dark, smoking on the sofa, to scare me no doubt… I then moved to Krusty’s brother’s place, in Wapping, but the flat was quickly sold and I had to move again, to Chalk Farm, where I was living with a Joey-like actor and a TV producer (for Teacher’s TV – glam !). Instead of moving from country to country, then, I will not go from tube station to tube station…I suppose I had to pretend to settle somehow.
So, with my new title of gipsy in the city, I send you my love, and promise to write more regularly, and hopefully more briefly. Hoping you are all well, and that you will write soon, too… x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home